Our program provides mental health treatment for pregnant and postpartum women. Our program has expertise in the treatment of peripartum:
- Mood Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Grief and Loss
- Prescription opioid use and pain
- Substance use, including Buprenorphine (Subutex) for the treatment of Opioid Use Disorder
Pre-pregnancy consultation for women with a history of mental health problems or taking psychotropic medication is also available.
Our program helps women and their families understand the risks associated with untreated mental health problems in pregnancy and/or postpartum as well as any potential risks of treatment including medications in pregnancy or during lactation. We offer an array of treatment options including therapy (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Interpersonal Psychotherapy, Mindfulness, etc.), alternative and lifestyle interventions (yoga, exercise, sleep, nutrition, light therapy, rTMS, etc.) as well as medication, if appropriate. Treatment plans are individualized to support women’s needs, preferences and values. With permission, treatment plans and ongoing care are communicated and coordinated with obstetric and/or pediatric providers.
Accessing Our Services
**During COVID-19 Pandemic**
In order to protect our patients and providers, beginning Thursday March 26th all of our services can be accessed virtually. Women can access our services without an appointment through MUSC’s virtual care platform. Go to www.musc.care and select Get Care Now. Simply create an account or log on and complete a free Women’s Behavioral Health Screening.
Upon completion of the screening a care coordinator will contact the patient Monday through Friday 8am-5pm and assist the patient with accessing virtual services. Mental health and substance use disorder services can be provided within women’s homes via any device (iPhone, android, iPad, desktop or laptop computer with internet access).
We believe that pregnant or postpartum women should have readily available access to mental health care and therefore offer a ‘walk-in’ clinic for all new patients needing a first appointment every Monday and Wednesday from 8:00am-10:30am at MUSC Women’s Health Services.
MUSC Women's Health Services
135 Cannon St., Suite 201
Charleston, SC 29425
MUSC Myrtle Beach Clinic
630 Chestnut Rd.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
If you are not local to the Charleston area, we offer telemedicine services from obstetric and pediatric practices throughout SC. Our telemedicine sites are:
- MUSC Women’s Health Resolute Way - North Charleston, SC
- McLeod Hospital OBGYN - Florence, SC
- McLeod OBGYN Seacoast Little River - Little River, SC
- McLeod OBGYN Seacoast Loris - Loris, SC
- Riverside Pediatrics - Kingstree, SC
- Carolina OBGYN - Murrells Inlet, SC
- Tidelands Health Women’s Center at Georgetown - Georgetown, SC
- Georgetown Pediatric Center - Georgetown, SC
- Riverside Pediatrics - Georgetown, SC
- Magnolia OBGYN - Myrtle Beach, SC
- Tidelands Health Family Medicine at Holmestown Road (Tidelands Health Women’s Center) - Myrtle Beach, SC
- All Children’s Pediatrics Port Royal - Beaufort, SC
We also see women through video visits from their home.
Please call telemedicine scheduling at 843-792-9907 for more information about telemedicine and video visits. MUSC accepts most insurances. Please call 843-792-2311 if you have any questions about your insurance coverage.