Kredel Springs Lecture
The Kredel-Springs Lectureship honors Frederick E. Kredel, M.D. and Holmes B. Springs, M.D. for their contributions and personal dedication to resident education and continuing medical education. The Lectureship is made possible through an endowment created by donations from the Kredel and Springs families, colleagues and the Department of Surgery.
Save the Date:
June 30, 2020
|2019||Taylor S. Riall, M.D., Ph.D.||Energy Leadership: Choosing Wellbeing, Resilience, and Effective Communication|
|2018||Bruce Gewertz, M.D.||Sustaining Fulfillment in Work and Life|
|2017||Selwyn M. Vickers, M.D.||Strategies and Current Management of a Lethal Tumor: Pancreatic Cancer|
|2016||Alan Flake, M.D.||Surgical Cellular, Genetic, and Physiologic Strategies for Fetal Treatment and the|
|2015||Julie A. Freischlag, M.D.||Clinical and Personal Comparative Effectiveness|
|2014||John L. Cameron, M.D||William Stewart Halsted; Our Surgical Heritage|
|2013||L. Scott Levin, M.D.||The History of and Evolution of Modern Limb Salvage –The Orthoplastic Approach|
|2012||Keith D. Lillemoe, M.D.||Current Management of Common Bile Duct Injuries|
Dr. Frederick E. Kredel was born in Pittsburgh in 1903. He received his Medical Degree from Johns Hopkins University and went on to the University of Chicago where he served as an intern, assistant resident, chief resident and fellow in surgery from 1929 until 1936. He came to the Medical College of South Carolina in 1937 as one of the first full-time professors. In 1943, Dr. Kredel was appointed Chairman of the Department of Surgery, serving in that capacity until 1960. During his tenure, substantial progress was made by the Department. In addition to developing the first blood bank in Charleston, Dr. Kredel is known as the first career academic surgeon at MUSC, and is held in high regard for his teaching excellence by the many residents he trained.
Dr. Holmes B. Springs was born in Greenville, SC in 1921. He received his medical degree from the Medical College of South Carolina and attended Protestant Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia, where he completed his internship. Dr. Springs was a true general surgeon, and his practice included Orthopedic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Urology, Otolaryngology, and Abdominal Surgery. Dr. Springs served as member of the MUSC Board of Trustees and sat the on the admissions committee. Dr. Springs was also a member of the American College of Surgeons. He retired in 1988. In 1999, Dr. and Mrs. Springs gave a generous gift to the Department of Surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina to further general surgery residents’ education.