Presentation and Research Opportunities Offer Growth
Promoting intellectual curiosity and encouraging research are important roles for residency programs. Recent awardees are listed below:
- Resident Research Proposal Awardees: Julie Siegel, M.D. PGY-2: Mentor Nancy DeMore, M.D. SFRP2 antibody as an inhibitor of tumor angiogenesis and Leah Plumblee,M. D. PGY-2: Mentor Satsh Nadig, M.D., Ph.D. IRI exacerbates immunogenicity in ECs during organ transplant.
- Jerec Ricci, M.D. PGY 3 research received a T-32 Postdoctoral Fellowship from the NIH. His research is Mitigating Ischemia Reperfusion Injury and Vascular Thrombosis in Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation and it will be conducted in the laboratory of Dr. Carl Atkinson and Dr. Satish Nadig.
- Ryan King, M.D. PGY 2 vascular Surgery Integrated awarded 2nd place of resident presentations at 13th Annual Introduction to Academic Vascular Surgery conference. Abstract entitled: Outcomes for peripheral vascular intervention and lower extremity bypass in kidney transplant recipients are superior to outcomes of patients remaining on dialysis. Dr. Thomas Brothers is senior author.
- Daniel Crane, M.D. PGY 7 Plastic Surgery received the Best Presentation Award in the Reconstruction/Burn/Microsurgery Session at the ASPS Resident Abstracts Session for Venous Thromboembolism Incidence and Risk Factors Associated with Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery: A NSQIP Analysis.
- Catherine Chung, M.D., PG-Y 3 awarded ﬁrst place in the American Society of Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrology (ASDIN) Poster Abstract Award. The abstract was entitled: The impact of perioperative music therapy on patients undergoing dialysis access with moderate sedation. Dr. Vinayak Rohan is the senior author.
Presentations are an effective and important way for residents to discuss their findings at regional and national conferences. This spring several residents had the opportunity to present their research. Here is a sampling:
- Lloyd “Mac” Felmly, M.D., PGY 4 CT Surgery Integrated presented Hybrid Double-Valve Replacement: Robot-Assisted Valve-in-MAC and Transfemoral TAVR at the American Association for Thoracic Surgery annual meeting. Dr. Marc Katz is the senior author.
- Avianne Bunnell, M.D. PGY 5 vascular Surgery Integrated presented Elevated cardiopulmonary complications after revascularization in patients with severe mental health disorders at the Association of VA Surgeons.n Joseph Anderson, M.D. PGY 3 vascular Surgery Integrated presented Discharge To A Facility Is Not Protective Against Wound Events Following Emergent Femoral Artery Repair at the VESS.
- Nick Ward, PGY 4 presented a poster at the American Heart Association Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Conference in Boston, MA, Angiotensin II Type I Receptor Blockade with Losartan Attenuates Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Formation in Spontaneously Hypertensive Mice.
- Sami Tarabishy, M.D. PGY 2 Plastic Surgery Integrated presented Thrombocytosis Is Associated with Complications after Microvascular Free Flap Surgery: A Review of NSQIP at the American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery Annual Meeting. Fernando Herrera, M.D. is the senior author.
Education Division receives Favorable ACGME Annual Review
All Department of Surgery education programs received favorable ACGME actions in the ACGME annual review: General Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Surgical Critical Care, Cardiothoracic, Plastics Fellowship all received continued accreditation and the Plastics Integrated received continued accreditation without outcomes.
ASPS In-Service Exam: the Ultimate Test of Plastic Surgery Knowledge
Dr. Milton Armstrong, Chief of the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, reports that all six of the Division’s Independent residents scored above the 60th percentile on this year’s In-Service Exam for Plastic Surgery, with the two ﬁrst year residents (PGY-6) scoring in the 91st and 98th percentiles, respectively. They are: Craig Moores, M.D. PGY 8, Jon “Simon” Ivey, M.D. PGY 8, Daniel Crane, M.D. PGY 7, Zachary Young, M.D. PGY 7, Steven Hermiz, M.D. PGY 6, and Busayo Irojah, M.D. PGY 6.