News and Announcements
- Andrea Abbott, M.D., MSCR, FACS invited to serve as a Member of the Training Committee for the Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) for a two-year term.
- Milton Armstrong, M.D. elected to the Board of Directors for the American Association for Hand Surgery, effective immediately.
- Thomas Brothers, M.D. chosen as a recipient of the 2019 MUSC Foundation Distinguished Faculty Service Award.
- Denise Carneiro-Pla, M.D. presented at Advances in Medical and Surgical Management of Thyroid Cancer, an AACECME course in Tampa on February 2, 2019.
- Shawn Crowley, R.N. MSN,Trauma Program Manager elected President Elect of the Trauma Association of South Carolina
- Heather Evans, M.D., MS, co-author on Evaluation of Wound Photography for Remote Postoperative Assessment of Surgical Site Infections published online in JAMA Surgery and presented Complications of Drug Abuse at the 49th Critical Care Congress in Orlando Florida.
- Evert Eriksson, M.D. voted in for membership to the Western Trauma Association.Marc r. Katz, M.D., MPH elected to Active Membership in the American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS).
- Chadrick Denlinger, M.D.presented Neuropilin 2b facilitates resistance to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in non-small cell lung cancer at the AATS 99th Annual Meeting.
- William Lancaster, M.D. named Associate Medical Director of The Center for Cellular Therapy.
- Stuart Leon, M.D. chosen as recipient of the 2019 MUSC Foundation Outstanding Clinician Award.Satish Nadig, M.D., Ph.D. named Division Director, Academic Affairs in the Department of Surgery.
- Rana Pullatt, M.D. chaired two sessions and presented at the Second IBC World Congress. He also presented six podium presentations in addition to being a panelist on the Duodenal Switch and Reoperative Bariatric Surgery Course during the 35th ASMBS Annual Meeting and has been appointed co-chair of the International Development Committee of the ASMBS.
- Jean Marie Ruddy M.D. had a podium presentation: Interleukin-6 is Necessary but not Sufficient for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Development at the Society for Vascular Surgery Vascular Research Initiatives Conference and presented a poster at the American Heart Association Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Conference.
- Vinayak Rohan, M.D. distinguished himself as one of the MUSC Recognized Research Innovators by achieving extramural research funding of more than $100,000 in 2018
- Robert Sade, M.D. was honored with the naming of the ethics debate during the annual Southern Thoracic Meeting. According to the STSA website: “The Ethics Debate is a wonderful component of the STSA Annual Meeting each year. In honor of Dr. Robert M. Sade’s contributions to these outstanding ethic debates, the annual event has been named the Robert M. Sade Ethics Lecture.”
Upon the recommendation of Dr. Prabhakar Baliga, Chair, Department of Surgery, and with the approval of the Appointment and Promotion Committee of the College of Medicine, the Administration, and the Board of Trustees, the following faculty in the Department of Surgery have received notiﬁcation of promotions, effective July 1, 2019:
- Derek A . DuBay, M.D., MSPH promoted from Associate Professor to Professor of Surgery/Transplant Surgery
- Mark A . Lockett, M.D. promoted from Associate Professor to Professor of Surgery/Oncologic-Endocrine Surgery
- David J. Taber, Pharm.D. promoted from Associate Professor to Professor of Surgery/Transplant Surgery
- Jean Marie Ruddy, M.D. promoted from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor of Surgery/Vascular Surgery