In FLEX Phase, learners choose a selective scholarly concentration that best meets their educational needs, professional interests and career aspirations. Learners achieve distinction in one of the following scholarly concentration pathways:
Alternatively, students who are eligible may apply for an existing accelerated pathway that leads to earlier graduation and entry into a residency position at MUSC (a parallel track approved by LCME). Information about the accelerated pathways can be found by following this link.
FLEX Phase Overall Objectives
- Develop skills for self-directed and lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate strategies for analyzing, identifying and improving personal deficiencies in knowledge and skills by setting learning and improvement goals.
- Define a scholarly question.
- Incorporate constructive feedback.
- Retrieve, critically appraise, and integrate current, evidence‐ or research-based biomedical information into patient care, clinical decision-making, or scholarly work.
- Make judgments and draw conclusions based on evidence.
- Apply the foundational principles of hypothesis-driven inquiry to patient care.
- Apply foundational principles of service‐learning with reflection on outcomes for patients and populations.
- Communicate effectively with patients, families, colleagues, and the public through the use of active listening and appropriate verbal, nonverbal and written skills.
- Prepare an oral presentation of their project and communicate their findings to their peers at the end of the program and at other institutional forums.
General Research Opportunities
- Palmetto Profiles
- DART Psychiatry (Please apply by October 1, 2019)
- Pediatric Research Opportunities
- Ophthalmology Research Opportunities
- South Carolina Research Studies Directory
- Charleston Research Institute
- Hollings Cancer Center Research Programs
- NIDDK Research Opportunities
- Otolaryngology Research Opportunities (PDF)
- CARES Clinic
- General Research Happenings at MUSC