Continuing Medical Education (CME) Stroke Resources
- Medscape provides online, evidence-based CME activities on current stroke research.
- myCME offers highly credible, rigorous, certified CME/CE programs on current stroke research.
American Heart Association
- AHA Journals CME provides recent research on stroke for CME credit. Click on "Stroke, Ischemic" in the catalog on the left-hand side.
- Search AHA's Professional Education Center Catalog for CME activities.
- MUSC’s stroke team provides urgent consultations at select hospitals in South Carolina through a Web-based outreach initiative called REACH MUSC.
- One of the nation's largest teams of top stroke and cerebrovascular specialists supported by a full range of leading-edge technology and facilities
- The MUSC Stroke Research and Education Center provides expertise and mentoring services for enhancing research opportunities and grant development focused on stroke.
- The Medical University of South Carolina was awarded a major grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to support the development of a Center for Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) in Stroke Recovery. The Center currently supports 30 studies investigating stroke recovery processes specific to walking, balance and strength training, arm and hand function, voice and swallowing disorders, depression, visual neglect, and sensation.
- The Center for Rehabilitation Research in Neurological Conditions receives funding for many projects focusing on stroke rehabilitation.
- MUSC's College of Medicine Brain Stimulation Laboratory to search for methods, tools, and treatment approaches to enrich the recovery from stroke.
- MUSC neurologist Dr. Bruce Ovbiagele is one of the authors of a new study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal that discusses an increased risk of stroke in people with cognitive impairment.
- Journal of the American Heart Association (JAHA) is an authoritative, peer-reviewed Open Access journal focusing on cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease. JAHA provides a global forum for basic and clinical research and timely reviews on cardiovascular disease and stroke. As an Open Access journal, its content is free on publication to read, download, and share, accelerating the translation of strong science into effective practice.
- ‘Stroke’ reports clinical and experimental information on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cerebrovascular diseases. Editorial features include: Original Contributions, Basic Science Advances for Clinicians, Emerging Therapy Critiques, Topical Reviews, Progress Reviews, Brief Reports, Case Reports, Comments and Opinions, Reviews, Editorials, Controversies in Stroke, and Cochrane Corner. ‘Stroke’ is affiliated with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
- The International Alliance for Pediatric Stroke (IAPS) was established to facilitate collaboration among the many worldwide pediatric stroke communities. The purpose of IAPS is to provide leadership for partnerships with global pediatric stroke communities for advancing awareness, knowledge, and research for babies and children who have been impacted by stroke.
Videos & Presentations
American Heart Association
- Access Stroke Journal webinars. The webinars consist of a structured lecture with appropriate slides relevant to the topic under discussion.
- Access numerous Focus on Quality Webinars related to AFIB, Stroke, and Heart Failure.
MUSC SC Research Center for Recovery from Stroke
- A visual graphic (PDF) of the effects of stroke.
American Stroke Association
- Access numerous patient education resources.
- Learn how to recognize a stroke and take action.
- Learn how 500 hospitals are improving outcomes for stroke patients through American Stroke Association's Target Stroke.
- Access Health care provider resources, customizable, and F.A.S.T. materials.
Harvard School of Public Health
- Take this quiz to evaluate how your current lifestyle habits affect your cardiovascular health, and learn simple steps to take to incorporate a Heart Healthy lifestyle.
American Heart Association
- Access guidelines, patient management tools, clinical tools, and patient educational materials.
Stroke Associations & Organizations
- Access numerous publications about stroke, such as risk factors and prevention.
- Access the Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, stroke clinical updates, StrokeSmart Magazine, and Brain Alert Newsletter.
- A national voluntary health agency to help reduce disability and death from cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
- Focuses on reducing disability and death from stroke.
- Focuses on improving heart and stroke care in South Carolina.
- Provides a unique, post-rehabilitation experience for stroke survivors. They offer classes and programs that address survivors’ physical, cognitive, social and emotional well-being.
- Brings together the key leaders from these various groups to tackle and solve some of the major issues related to stroke care, treatment, prevention, and education as it affects the Stroke Belt region and its citizens.
- Dedicated to setting direction, advancing knowledge, and communicating best practices to improve our ability to prevent and combat stroke.
- An education and awareness campaign of the American Heart Association that embraces and celebrates the culture, energy, creativity and lifestyles of Americans