The internship program in Recreation Therapy provides the student with an opportunity to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to work as a recreation therapist in a clinical setting. Internships take place in the Institute of Psychiatry. One half of the internship will take place in the Youth inpatient service, and the other half in Adult psychiatry and the Clinic for Drug and Alcohol Program intensive outpatient program.
Internships are offered throughout the year. Interns are expected to work 40 per week for fifteen weeks. By the 15th week, students will have developed the following competencies:
- Assessment of patients and development of individualized treatment plans.
- Facilitation/leadership of Recreation Therapy programs.
- Development of therapeutic relationships with patients and ongoing intervention as part of the patient's treatment.
- Documentation of assessments, progress notes, and discharge summaries.
- Discharge planning with patients.
- Verbal presentation of recreation therapy progress and other data in treatment team meetings.
- Communication skills in general, individually with patients, as a group facilitator, with the treatment team, with recreation therapy staff, and others.
The student will receive individual supervision from a designated full time recreation therapist who is currently certified by NCTRC. This therapist will meet with the student weekly for supervision throughout the internship. Supervision will also occur through on-the-spot feedback and discussion by recreation therapy staff after groups, following assessments, and after treatment team meetings.
The intern will be required during the internship to prepare and complete a special project benefiting Recreation Therapy. Staff will work with the student on identifying an appropriate project.
Stipends are not offered for internships, and housing is not provided for interns. MUSC's Student Wellness Center does provide some assistance to students in locating apartments and/or roommates.
There are several requirements for application for internship positions:
- A letter of application including a statement of internship goals.
- A current resume.
- A list of three references, at least 1 faculty member (with phone numbers provided).
- An interview with recreation therapy staff (both on-site and phone interviews are acceptable)
Submit letters of application with required documents to:
Holly-Ann Boyle, CTRS
67 President Street, MSC 861
Charleston, SC 29425
Note: Sending via email is preferred.