What is the Department of Medicine Mentorship Program?
The Department of Medicine is committed to mentoring all faculty members at or below the associate professor level. All faculty members are assigned an initial member upon faculty appointment. Over time faculty members will select mentors that can provide career guidance in your chosen specialty niche.
You will be expected to meet with your mentor on a frequent basis to develop your career plans, and you may choose one or additional more mentors to serve as a resource for your career development, and to help you develop both a short-term and long-term set of professional goals and objectives (such as promotion timetable, publication, education and research goals) to guide your professional development and advancement. Our most successful mentor-mentee relationships are developed in the context of meeting with your mentor on a frequent basis. Additionally, please note that in the spring of each year you will be expected to complete an Individual Development Plan (IDP) as a part of the annual faculty evaluation process. We believe that the mentoring program will help you substantially in the achievement of your academic goals.
What is an IDP?
The Individual Development Plan (IDP) is a planning roadmap to serve as ongoing evaluation of performance to nurture career development of Medical University of South Carolina Department of Medicine faculty. Use these instructions to assist you in completing the annual IDP and faculty evaluation.
The major career development domains below are included:
- Academic goals
- Teaching activities
- Research and scholarly activity
- Patient care
- Institutional activities
- Professional Growth
- Career advancement
- CV review
What is the timeline?
- February: Complete the Citizenship Tool to serve as a resource
- February: Complete the IDP Planning Tool to serve as a resource
- March: Faculty completes annual faculty Individual Development Plan (IDP) via a web link that will be emailed
- April: Meet with mentor and mentor completes mentorship section
- May-June: Division Directors review, add comments and schedule individual meetings and complete IDP and faculty evaluation
Who do I contact with questions?
Contact Melissa Wimberly, Faculty Affairs Coordinator, at email@example.com.