We are able to offer the following opportunities:
High School & Undergraduate Observers
- Students who wish to shadow an obstetrician may do so in the hospital (Labor and Delivery) under the close supervision of a physician; we are unable to host observers in our outpatient clinics. Students are unable to participate in procedures or have direct patient contact. Up to 3 days of observation may be approved.
- Application process takes approximately 30 days to review your immunization records, approve your application and schedule a date for your experience.
- We are able to offer shadowing opportunities during 2 weeks in June and December each year while our clerkship students are on break.
MUSC 1st & 2nd Year Medical Students
Please contact Andrea Shrader to schedule your required shadowing hours.
Visiting Fourth Year US Medical Students
- Our fourth year courses are each 4 weeks and are listed on Visiting Student Application Service VSAS.
- Students must be fully-enrolled in a US, LCME-accredited medical school and in their final year of training
- Applications must be submitted through VSAS. Applications are reviewed by the ObGyn Department, and are at the discretion of the College of Medicine Dean’s Office.
- MUSC’s visiting student guidelines
- The Obgyn department participates in the Underrepresented in Medicine Visiting Student Program.
- If you have questions, please contact Andrea Shrader, Dept. of ObGyn or Christine Talbot-Bond College of Medicine.
Visiting Students & MUSC Students From Other Health Professions
- We are unable to accept students from other health professions (MUSC or visiting) such as nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, and physicians assistants at this time.
- Per the College of Medicine Visiting Student Policy, the college where the student resides will pay the MUSC College of Medicine a fee per student per student week.
- If you have additional questions, please contact Andrea Shrader. Your application will require approval from the MUSC College of Medicine.