HRSA Primary Care Training and Enhancement Program
Are you ready to transform your practice to succeed in the new value-based primary care environment?
Health Resources Service Administration (HRSA) has funded Medical University of South Carolina Departments of Medicine, Family Medicine and Pediatrics to sponsor training of primary care clinicians in practice transformation to prepare for value-based care such as Patient-centered Medical Home (PCMH) or Accountable Care Organizations (ACO).
Characteristics of transformed health care delivery systems identified by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) include:
- Providers across the care continuum participate in integrated or virtually integrated delivery models
- Care is coordinated across all providers and settings
- High level of patient engagement and quantifiable results on patient experience
- Providers leverage the use of health information technology to improve quality
- Providers perform at the top of their license and board certification
- Population health measures are integrated into the delivery system
- Data are used to drive health system processes.
HRSA also recognizes addressing social determinants of health as a characteristic of transformed health care delivery systems.
Eligible providers must see medically underserved patients, and preference will be given to primary care providers in Federally Qualified Heath Centers, health departments or free clinics in rural areas. Eligible providers are physicians and physician assistants who have been in practice for at least two years. A one year commitment for the champions program is required, and the time commitment is expected to be one half day per week. Your practice will be reimbursed for your time commitment in this program.
One-Year Curriculum on Practice Transformation Includes:
- Assessment of your practice transformation readiness
- Lean Six Sigma quality improvement training: 6 month online curriculum mentored by staff of the Care Coordination Institute (CCI), Greenville, SC
- Monthly webinar with faculty at MUSC – may be completed remotely
- Website access to practice transformation resources
- Practice-based Quality Improvement project for your home practice – mentored by MUSC faculty with design, data and analytic support
- Paid attendance at your state specialty meeting to present your QI work, attendance at the CCI Chrysalis conference and attendance at the annual meeting of all HRSA-sponsored programs in Washington, DC
More information on the Practice Transformation Curriculum (PDF)
- Attend the kickoff call in January
- Complete the self-paced online White Belt training and pass the exam
- Complete the self-paced Yellow Belt & Waste Busters training and pass the exam
- Execute one Yellow Belt-level improvement project – can be quick win waste reduction
- Complete Green Belt pre-course online training
- Attend live Green-belt training and pass the exam
- Execute one Green Belt-level improvement project
- Participate in monthly coaching webinars
- Along the way ask questions via Private CCI Facebook group
- Attend the live program wrap-up session
- Participate as needed in private monthly coaching calls
Requirements for the Program:
- Completed application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of support from your clinical leader/medical director