Foster an environment of collaborative research to improve understanding of the multiple factors that perpetuate health care disparities related to race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and geographic location (rural/urban), and to develop effective interventions to eliminate those disparities and improve care for all.
Continue our work as a recognized center of research excellence in understanding and eliminating health disparities, while magnifying our impact at the local, national, and international levels.
- Ethics: We promote the highest standards of ethics, honesty, and integrity in all aspects of work.
- Health: The breadth of our multidisciplinary research agenda reflects a view of health influenced from individual, sociocultural, environmental, political, and economic perspectives.
- Scientific Rigor: We strive to achieve excellence in all phases of our work and continually improve and tailor programs and practices based on new knowledge.
- Partnership: The most effective research combines researchers with community, organizational, and governmental partners to identify and address health problems. With each partner, we develop a research agenda and processes that are mutually acceptable and responsive to the partnership's needs and characteristics.
- Collaboration: We believe that complex health questions require the consideration of multiple perspectives. Our research, therefore, involves collaborations across many disciplines within MUSC, with other research institutions, and broad partnerships outside academia.
- Translation: One of our objectives is to translate research findings to help communities develop health interventions that are practical in the real world.