The Department of Public Health Sciences (DPHS) requires that all incoming students purchase a portable or laptop computer. Our buildings are all wireless-enabled, and you will be able to access your campus email, student-related information, course materials, and other important web-based resources at any time using your laptop. To ensure compatibility with the existing campus technology infrastructure, DPHS has identified hardware and software standards for student laptops (see below). Students must bring to campus a laptop that meets or exceeds these standards. Students with laptops that do not meet the minimum standards will receive limited software support by DPHS. IT will not be able to offer hardware support or repair for any student-owned laptops.
Please note that the Department of Public Health Sciences laptop hardware and software standards are different from university standards.
It is imperative that you adhere to the Department of Public Health Sciences standards.
Student Laptop Minimum Hardware & Software Requirements
Students who need to purchase software may be able to do so through Compusult or 1-800-992-6058. Compusult is a local software retail company located two blocks from the college that offers students discounted prices.
- Laptop: Any PC based laptop (Absolutely no Macs) which meets the following hardware standards:
- Processor: Minimum of iCore 5
- Memory: Minimum of 8 GB RAM
- Hard Drive: Minimum of 250 GB
- Operating System: Windows 10 Professional (No Home Editions) to provide Encryption File System via Bitlocker to meet MUSC policy and State of South Carolina requirements.
- Antivirus: The Department of Public Health Sciences will provide Antivirus software.
- Warranty: Due to the critical nature of system availability, the Department recommends purchasing an extended hardware warranty. The Department of Public Health Sciences does not maintain an inventory of hardware.