Goals & Learning Objectives
In addition to the overall goals and objectives each elective has their own goals and objectives as well.
- Learn the personal and professional characteristics that are required of physicians.
- Understand the core principles and clinical skills needed to treat patients with psychiatric illness.
- Pass the Shelf Test and OSCE.
- Have fun.
- Demonstrate proper techniques for interviewing a patient to obtain a psychiatric history and complete a mental status examination.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze, synthesize, and integrate pertinent patient data.
- Formulate a comprehensive and organized differential diagnosis.
- Demonstrate the ability to build a positive, healing relationship with a patient.
- Describe the impact of psychosocial factors on patients’ illnesses and health.
- Demonstrate professional demeanor and ethical behavior, including timely reporting to all assignments, professional dress, respectful communication, and accurate and timely documentation and completion of reports.
- Apply knowledge of the pathophysiology, epidemiology, and natural history of diseases to the diagnosis and management of patient conditions.
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate laboratory and diagnostic findings when developing a differential diagnosis and treatment plan.
Interpersonal Skills & Communication
- Present patient data gathered from patient interviews, examinations, laboratory & diagnostic studies, and progress notes in a standardized format.
- Document patient data gathered from patient interviews, examinations, laboratory & diagnostic studies, and progress notes in a standardized format.
- Demonstrate effective, professional and compassionate interpersonal and communication skills in interactions with patients, families, peers, and other professionals and staff.
Practice Based Learning & Improvement
- Use evidence-based medicine to guide patient care decisions.
- Be able and willing to identify errors in patient care and knowledge deficits.
- Demonstrate a willingness to change future practices based on feedback.
- Use information technology successfully to access and manage patient information.
Systems Based Practice
- Demonstrate an appreciation of, and ability to collaborate with, other members of the health care team, including nurses, social workers, pharmacists, psychologists, and other team members and trainees.
- Identify issues related to the cost-effectiveness of diagnostic evaluations and patient care.